Do you have poor vision from keratoconus or not tolerating your rigid contact lenses? Dr. Arbabi may be able to help you with an advanced wave-front guided treatment combined with corneal cross-linking.
What is Wavefront-guided TransPRK combined with Corneal Cross-Lininking (CXL)?
Who is suitable for this treatment?
Take our online suitability test
1 Min. Assessment
If you have Keratoconus and answer yes to the following questions you may be a good candidate:
If you have good vision with your glasses, then you are not suitable for this treatment. Dr. Arbabi will perform a comprehensive assessment to see if you are likely to benefit from this.
How is the surgery performed?
What to Expect
On the Day of Your Treatment
1. Warm welcome
2. Ensuring you are comfortable
3. Wavefront treatment
4. Corneal cross-linking
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) drops will be used for your eyes . You will then be staring at an ultraviolet light for a few minutes. At the end a bandage contact lens will be inserted in the eye.
After the Treatment
1. What to Expect
The eye will be very sore and uncomfortable soon after the procedure. The vision will be blurry and light sensitive until the surface skin grows back. The eye and the vision should feel much better after 2-5 days.
2. Aftercare drops and advice
You will be given your aftercare drops and advice. You will also be given pain killer medications to take for 2 days. You will be asked to lie down in a dark room with your eyes shut for most of the next 2 days to speed up the recovery. Avoid putting makeup on your face for one week and on your eyes for 2 weeks following the procedure.
3. The future
You will be seen the next 2-5 days. You should be able to resume most normal activities and sports within 2-4 weeks. As part of our unique service you will be given Dr. Arbabi’s personal phone number so you can call or WhatsApp him directly if you had any concerns or want to discuss anything about your procedure.
Dr Arbabi is a very kind, compassionate and highly recommended surgeon. He really puts patients at ease and help you through every step of your journey towards a better sight
Wavefront-guided TransPRK step by step answer to all your questions
The main advantage is the procedure has the ability to improve the quality of your vision with a new pair of glasses and hence may eliminate the need for other more invasive surgeries to give you better vision.
- There is a possibility that your keratoconus could progress further after the procedure. The risk of this is reduced as you have had corneal cross-linking.
- Other risks are similar to LASEK surgery.
- The results are not always predictable. The technique still continues to be an art as well as a science. Some patients experience significant improvement while others may benefit very little or not at all. Based on Dr. Arbabi’s extensive experience in patients with keratoconus and the available guidelines, he will explain the likelihood of benefiting your eye.
- Having cross-linking alone.
- Keraring implant with or without cross-linking.
- Trying different types of contact lenses and getting new glasses.
- In very advanced cases, patient may require corneal transplant.