Do you have poor vision from keratoconus? Keranaturale may help you get better quality vision or may improve your contact lens wear tolerance.
What is KeraNaturale?
Keranatural Corneal Allograft Intracorneal Ring Segments (CAIRS) is a revolutionary technique to help people with Keratoconus see better. It uses donor tissue to create a natural ring in the cornea. This is more effective and decreases some of the risks associate with the older synthetic materials like Intacs, Ferrara and Kerarings. It can also be adjusted or removed.
To see if this is right for you, Dr. Arbabi will carefully examine your eyes and uses a special 3D mapping and imaging of your cornea. If it’s a good fit, he will use a high-tech femtosecond laser to implant this natural ring and customise the ring to your individual cornea.
Keranatural works by making the cornea less steep, which reduces your corneal irragularities and astigmatism. The goal of the treatment is to make your vision better and improve how well you can see with your glass. This is not a procedure to make you classes free.
Advantages of Keranaturale implants
Rapid and painless treatment
The advanced femtosecond laser makes a precise tunnel in cornea in less than 10 seconds followed by another 2-3 minutes to slide and position the ring in the exact place
The Keranaturale can easily be taken out if required and the cornea returns to its normal state.
No other surgeries needed
I am I suitable for Keranaturale?
Take our online suitability test
1 Min. Assessment
What to Expect
On the Day of Your Treatment
1. Warm welcome
2. Ensuring you are comfortable
3. Keraring implant
After the Treatment
1. What to Expect
2. Aftercare drops and advice
3. The future
You may see some improvement of vision immediately but usually it takes 3-6 months for full visual recovery. Most people can expect to return to office-based work within first 24 to 48h after surgery. However, your glasses prescription may change. You should be able to resume most sports activities within 2 to 4 weeks. As part of Dr. Arbabi’s unique service you will be given his personal phone number to call or WhatsApp me directly if you have any concern or want to discuss anything about your procedure.
Dr Arbabi is a very kind, compassionate and highly recommended surgeon. He really puts patients at ease and help you through every step of your journey towards a better sight
KeraNaturale® step by step answer to all your questions
- Staying as you are with wearing your current glasses or contact lenses
- Some patients may be suitable for an intraocular lens implant such as toric ICL implant.
- In very advanced cases patients may require a corneal transplant.
It is a safe procedure but like any other operation there are risks. The risks include:
- Glare and halos: Some patients may experience a mild degree of glare. The risk of glare and haloes is signofocantly less with Keranaturale compare to older generation plastic rings (INTACS). If any glare occurs, it usually settles down and resolves with time. However, if this was too troublesome or not settling, the Keranaturale can be removed
- Risk of immune reaction is very low as the tissue is biocompatible and has no cells
- The result are not always predictable. It still continues to be an art as well as a science. Some patients experience significant improvement while others may benefit very little or not at all. Based on Dr. Arbabi’s extensive experience in patients with keratoconus and the available guidelines, he will explain the likelihood of the procedure benefitting your eye.
- Small risk of infection or scarring
- Small risk it may make your vision worse
- Very small risk of corneal perforation
- Change of glasses prescription or worsening of vision